Friday, 10 May 2013

What I learned about Google Analytics


I know very little about Google Analytics.  I'm doing the best I can to learn about it.  One thing I quickly noticed is that you can add a cookie to your browser to prevent your own page views being tracked.  This is important in getting an accurate representation on the amount of page views your site has.  There's likely many people out there that try to hyperinflate their page views by viewing their own page a huge number of times.  However, there are probably ways in which savvy users can identify this. 

I've also learned about two important definitions related to Google Analytics.  They are:

Metric:  Metrics measure the data and are placed into columns.  They focus on numbers. Examples include number of site visits and the amount of time on the site.

Dimension:  Dimensions describe the data and are contained in rows.  They must be paired with metrics for meaningful data analysis to occur. Examples include city, country and browser.

I learned about metrics and dimesions from a blog called LunaMetrics, owned by Robbin Steif.  It can be found here:

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2009/06/22/dimensions-metrics-difference/

No comments:

Post a Comment